Namaqua Fry Away With Me Sauce
Cook time: 40 mins
Yield: 1 ¼ cups
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup Namaqua Blanc De Blanc
- 1 tablespoon diced tomatoes
- 2 cans tomato puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a saucepan heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until softened for about 7 minutes. Add the brown sugar, paprika, allspice, cloves and cook stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts. Add the wine, tomato paste and cook over moderate heat until thick for about 3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until very thick for 15 to 20 minutes.
Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.