Lamb Shank In Red Wine Sauce
4 Lamb shanks (+-400g each)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 ½ cups Red wine
800g Can crushed tomato
2 tbsp tomato paste
500ml chicken stock
4 rosemary sprigs
4 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Wash and pat dry lamb shanks.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy based pot. Sear shanks in the hot oil until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook for two minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes till onions are soft and sweet.
- Add the red wine, chicken stock crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Place the lamb shanks into the pot, so that they are mostly submerged.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to oven for two hours.
- Remove the lid and leave in the oven for another 30 minutes. If meat is not super tender, cover and keep cooking.
- Remove lamb onto a plate and keep warm.
- Strain the sauce into a pot and bring to a simmer to reduce slightly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the lamb shanks on mashed potato with the sauce.