Potjiekos is regarded as humble by many but, when it is done right, it can compete with even the fanciest of dishes when it comes to taste.
- 1.5kg Beef shin, with bone in
- 2 Onions, diced
- 1 Cup diced carrots
- 1 Cup diced celery
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 Medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 6 Carrots, cut into chunks
- 250g White button mushrooms
- 850ml Beef stock
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Cup red wine
- 30ml Worcestershire sauce
- 5 Bay leaves
- 2 Sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a potjie. Season the meat with salt and pepper, and brown in heated oil.
- Add the diced onion, celery, and carrots, plus the garlic, and fry with the meat for 8 minutes.
- Add the stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and pepper, and cook with the lid on low heat for 1 and a half hours.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes, and cook for another hour until the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked.
- Serve with rice.